Carne Asada Tacos
Ingredients Annatto Flour Tortillas
½ Cup Vegetable Shortening
3 Tablespoons Annatto Seed
1 Cup Hot Water
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
3 Cups of Flour
2 lb Flank Steak
1 jalapeño seeded and minced
4 cloves garlic minced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves chopped
¼ cup Soy Sauce
Juice of 1 orange
Juice of 1 lime
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Smoked Salsa Roja
14 Roma Tomatoes (about depending on size)
1 White Onion
4 Cloves Garlic
2-3 Large Jalapeños
Juice of 1 Lime
1 bunch cilantro
1 teaspoon cumin powder
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
Chipotle Crema (optional)
1/3 cup crema1 TBS Adobo from can of chipotle peppers
Juice of ½ lime
Directions Annatto Flour Tortillas
(Yields: 18 tortillas)
1. Add vegetable shortening to small saucepan and melt on low.
2. Add annatto seed and allow to simmer, stirring until color changes, about 3 minutes.
3. Strain vegetable shortening into mixing bowl.
4. Add water and salt to vegetable shortening.
5. Mix Flour and Baking Powder.
6. Slowly add to shortening mixture and knead until dough forms. Should not be sticky.
7. Make 18 dough balls and form into tortilla round.
8. Cook on hot griddle or skillet, about 1 minute per side.
Directions Carne Asada
1. Mix marinade ingredients.
2. Add flank steak and marinade to a re-sealable bag and marinate for 2 hours (up to overnight).
3. Place on grill and cook for 20 minutes
Directions Smoked Salsa Roja
1. Smoke or grill your tomatoes, onion, or peppers to get desired smoked/roasted flavor.
2. Add all ingredients to blender and blend until smooth. Place in fridge overnight for best results.
Directions Carne Asada Tacos
1. Assemble taco with Annatto Flour Tortilla, top with sliced carne asada, thinly sliced radish, salsa roja,
chipotle crema, queso fresco and a squeeze of lime.