Grilled Whole Curry Fish
3 gutted and cleaned Red Snapper, whole
Jamaican curry powder seasoning
1 can cream of coconut
6 kaffir lime leaves
12 bird chili peppers
6 tablespoons butter
Matouk’s calypso sauce salsa calypso
1 whole scallion
Himalayan pink salt
1 lime, sliced
9 banana leaves, cut to 12 inches
1. Prepare grill or smoker to 800° F.
2. Using a sharp knife, partially filet the fish. First cut up along the fin to the head, then cut from the
stomach down to the tail and open fish meat side up (body should still be intact).
3. Sprinkle fish with Jamaican curry powder seasoning and Himalayan pink salt, then stuff with about 1
tablespoon of cream of coconut, 2 kaffir lime leaves, 4 bird chili peppers, 2 tablespoons of butter, 2
tablespoons Matouk’s salsa calypso, 2 stocks of scallions, 2 lime slices and 2 to 3 cilantro sprigs to each
fish and close fish.
4. Wrap the fish starting at one end of the banana leaf and wrap tightly (use 3 banana leaves per fish).
Repeat this step for each fish.
5. Using a shovel (or appropriate tools) bury each wrapped fish in the hot charcoal and close grill lid.
Cook for about 20 minutes and remove the wrapped fish from the grill.
6. Let rest for 5 minutes then cut the banana leaves open and serve. Enjoy!